Hospice M&A to Stay Hot as Home Health Picks Up Steam

Mergers-and-acquisition activity continues to boom in the hospice space this year. Deal volume may exceed the record number from the prior two years. As many as 61% of the 203 hospice care professionals who responded to a recent Hospice News Outlook Survey and Report said they anticipate that hospice M&A activity will increase during 2022. […]

The Top 10 Hospice News Stories of 2021

This year was transformational for the hospice space. The industry took its first steps towards value-based payment through the hospice component of the value-based insurance design model, or Medicare Advantage hospice carve-in. Providers also saw an overhaul of the U.S. Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services’ (CMS) survey process, all while contending with COVID-19 headwinds […]

Hospice M&A Expected to Stay Strong in 2022

Despite prevailing COVID-19 headwinds, the hospice and home health mergers and acquisitions market shows no signs of slowing. Labor shortages plaguing the industry may be spurring additional activity as the dwindling workforce is limiting some providers’ ability to grow organically. A number of the larger strategic buyers — LHC Group (NASDAQ: LHCG), Amedisys (NASDAQ: AMED), […]

Small Hospices Could Become Prime Targets for PE Buyers

Private equity investors remain bullish on hospice with no signs of slowing down. However, with a number of high-profile transactions completed or in the works during 2020 and 2021, the number of hospices of scale that are likely to come to market is dwindling. During the next few years, PE firms will likely fix their […]

Humana Completes Kindred at Home Acquisition, Plans to Divest Hospice

Humana, Inc. (NYSE: HUM) has completed its purchase of Kindred at Home in an $8.1 billion transaction. The company obtained a 40% stake in Kindred in 2018. Through this transaction Humana gains the remaining 60% from private equity firms Welsh, Carson, Anderson & Stowe (WCAS) and TPG Capital. The price tag includes Humana’s equity value […]

Senate Finance Committee to Probe Private Equity Role in Kindred at Home

The U.S. Senate Finance Committee is investigating private equity interest in the home health and hospice provider Kindred at Home. The move reflects growing concern among lawmakers about the impact of private equity’s involvement in hospice.  The private equity firms Welsh, Carson, Anderson & Stowe (WCAS) and TPG Capital in 2018 acquired a combined 60% […]

Quality, Compliance Pose Risks for Hospices in M&A

The hospice mergers and acquisitions market has been exploding in recent years, continuing to gain momentum despite pandemic-related pitfalls. Still, hospices need to tread lightly and keep a close watch on where they measure up in the highly competitive market, with quality and compliance posing the greatest risks to their value propositions, according to M&A […]

Welsh, Carson, Anderson & Stowe Launches $300 Million Investment Firm Valtruis

New York-based private equity firm Welsh, Carson, Anderson & Stowe (WCAS) has launched a portfolio company called Valtrius that will invest in companies oriented around value-based care. The firm’s initial investment totaled $300 million. WCAS has invested nearly $10 billion during the past 40 years in more than 90 health care companies via 13 private […]